Monday, August 15, 2011

Because Rumi is Just So Freaking Awesome!

Are you familiar with Rumi?  If not, then you ought to be.  I won't go on in any detail about the wisdom of this Sufi poet, but I will share one of his poems with you.  

You can thank me later...

Bliss—
    the instant
         spent seated
              on the terrace,
                   me next to you
                       two forms and
                             two faces
                                 with just one soul,
                                      me and you

The chatter of birds
the garden’s murmur
        flowing
     like a fountain of youth
        as we stroll
     through roses,

                                      me and you
The stars of the firmament, bent low to look over us
    Let’s eclipse them, shine like the moon,
                                      me and you

                                      Me and you join,
                                      beyond Me
                                      beyond You
                                           in joy
    happy, released from delire and delusion
                                      Me and you, laughing like this,
    reach dimensions where celestial birds suck sugary cubes
                   Magical! me and you, here,
                       in our corner of earth,
                       but wafting on airs of Iraq and Khorasan,
                                      me and you
    In one form here on earth
    in other forms in paradise
    eternal, sunk in fields of sugar,
                                      me and you
--Translation by Franklin Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment