Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

*There is a gross picture at the end of this post; you have been warned.*

I have been home from the hospital for almost three weeks, and it has been an interesting respite.  

The Good:
  • I am allowed to stay in bed all day and watch TV.  
  • The semester is over, and there isn't any homework for me to do or papers to finish.
  • By not working I am able to spend a lot of time with my son, and we are enjoying this time to relax.
  • The results of the Lymph Node Dissection were fantastic!  All lymph nodes were cancer-free, so I do not need any chemotherapy at this time.  I will still have a number of blood tests and CT scans over the next few years to make sure that the cancer stays away, but this is really great news.  I can focus on recovery and getting back to work sooner.
The Bad:
  • I am close to getting cabin fever.  I occasionally get out for walks, but after a few days of being trapped inside, it can be scary to venture out into the Upper West Side.
  • I hate sleeping on my back--a lot.  I am now to the point where I can spend about 2 hours on my side, but then it hurts too much.
  • There is still a lot of pain, but it was a big surgery, so I am happy to have less pain today than yesterday.
The Ugly:
  • You might not want to see this, but I am going to share it.  This is part of my incision.  The surgeon opened up parts of it to allow fluids to drain.  It is gross, but I am used to it, and it is going to leave a really cool scar.


*I told you it was a nasty picture.*

2 comments:

  1. After being on bedrest for 6 of my 9 month pregnancy, I understand the cabin fever! Netflix will save your life in the meantime!

    It really is going to leave a cool scar. Looks like it is healing well, actually. (I'm a junkie when it comes to medical stuff. Its weird, I'm aware.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Archie, I'm so glad that all is well with you now. I've been very concerned for you. I found out I have cancer. I had a hysterectomy May 11th and they found cancer in one of the fibroid tumors. I go in tomorrow for a PET scan and meet with my oncologist on June 6th to talk about chemo. We have a family blog if you want to follow our journey. www.kenkenningtonfamily.blogspot.com
    Take care,
    Love, Luann

    ReplyDelete